• To give praise and thanks to God for having placed these heavenly spirits of great sanctity and dignity at the service of man. To recite Psalm 91: 10-12. To sing with the Angels Revelation 4:8-11.
• To attend the mass (Michael-mas) that is said in the Angels honor or visit a church or a shrine where their icons are displayed and light a candle.
• Or at home: Place an Angel’s icon with a flower over a white handkerchief or cloth, light a candle, ring a bell and utter a prayer. You may voice your request or you may write it down on a white paper.
• To read and to learn about the Angels pleases them and thus it is considered an offering. Avoid Angelic information transmitted by New Age psychics because the spirit communicating through them could be a deceiver pretending to be an Angel of God. When it comes to the subject of Angels, seek reputable time-tested thinkers and mystics from the Angelic traditions of the Abrahamic cultures.
• To fast on the eve of their feast.
• To perform the Novena of St. Michael and all the Angels (9 days-9 Choirs of Angels) beginning on September 21 and ending on the day of the Feast, September 29.
• To give alms in their name. To do good works as a sign of respect for them.
• Michaelmas daisies and sweets: The food offered to the Angels becomes infused with their presence and blessing. It is believed that it brings good fortune and dispels the misfortune of those who consume it (including animals). The type of sweet varies with the culture. I light 9 candles on my favorite cake and I do not blow them out; while the flames are alight we write with gold ink on white paper our messages and place them around the cake. When the candles are totally consumed, the offering is complete and we eat the cake. In the name of the Angels, we bring another cake, a big one, to the soup kitchen.
I decorate the table with Asters from my garden. Also known as Starworts, Michaelmas daisies or Frost flowers, the name Aster is derived from the Greek word for Star. The Greeks and the Romans believed that this flower was sacred to the gods and wreaths of asters were placed on their altars. Because of their virtues, planting these Asters in your garden brings love, contentment and protection to your household.
Guardian Angel Feast Day October 2
I celebrate my Guardian Angel with one cupcake and one birthday candle. I recite the Guardian Angel prayer multiple times during the day. I express in different ways my appreciation for his constant presence. I read parts of The Faithful Companion, Our Guardian Angel (F. Garcia, Madrid 1683.) I also salute the Guardian Angels of the people of my household, of my neighborhood, of my city, of my country and all the Guardian Angels in the world, including the Guardian Angels of the Elementals and the Guardian Angels of all the creatures that directly or indirectly contribute to my preservation.